- 5 cups rice wash
- 150 grams tamarind fruit (sampalok)
- 1 large red onion
- 3 large red plump tomatoes
- 2-3 pcs small pcs native taro (gabing tagalog)
- 5 pcs okra, remove both ends
- 5 pcs string beans (sitaw), cut at 2" length
- 1 small radish (labanos), sliced diagonally
- 2 tsps iodized coarse salt
- 1/2 kg milkfish, scaled, gutted & cut into 5 pcs diagonally
- 1 small eggplant (talong), sliced at 1/8" thick
- 2-3 pcs finger chilis
- half-bunch of swamp cabbage (kangkong), leaves & tender stalks only
In a claypot or earthpot (palayok), put the first-five ingredients. Cover. Over medium heat. Bring to boil. Bubble away for 12-15 minutes. Mash carefully the tomatoes and tamarind fruit.
Add accordingly the okra, string beans, radish, salt and milkfish. Swirl the pot. Cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
Put the chilis and eggplant. Cook for a minute. Follow with swamp cabbage. Cook until done.