- 2 tbsps cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium (35 grams) red onion, peeled & finely minced
- 2 medium (70 Grams) red ripe tomatoes, finely minced
- 1 small can (155 grams) sardines in spicy tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked peppercorns
- 1/2 piece (175 grams) bittermelon (ampalaya)
- 1/2 can water
In a kawali or pan, place over medium-high fire. Put oil. Heat lightly. Add garlic. Saute until rich golden brown. Follow with onion and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until very soft. Put the rest of the ingredients. Crumble lightly the sardines. Mix. Lid on. Cook for several minutes or until bittermelon is done but not overcook.
Serve with steamed rice.