- some banana leaves, trimmed according to the size of the steamer
- 3 pcs pandan leaves, tied in a knot
for the shrimps:
- 3/4 kg medium shrimps
- 3/4 -1 tsp fine salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps of light olive oil or peanut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- a tbsp of butter or margarine
- a thumb-size ginger, finely minced
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 1 finger chili, seeded and chopped
for the fried rice:
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 tbsps margarine
- 4 pcs eggs, beaten
- 8 heaping but loose cups of well-mashed left-over cooked white rice
- 1/2 tbsp iodized coarse salt
- 1/2 tbsp liquid seasoning
Wash the shrimps. Cut the tip of the head and eyes of the shrimps (not the whole head). Drain well. In a medium bowl, put the shrimps, salt and pepper. Toss. Set aside.
In a pan, pour olive oil. Saute garlic until golden brown. Follow with the margarine, ginger, onion and chili. Stir-fry until fragrant. Put the sauteed mixture in the bowl of shrimps. Toss.
In a wok, over medium-high heat, put the vegetable oil and margarine. Swirl the pan. When margarine has almost melted, add the beaten egg. Cook for 5 seconds. Dump in the rice, salt and liquid seasoning. Stir-fry until rice render a sunny golden yellow color. Cook for 6-8 minutes until heated through.
Meanwhile, heat some water for the steamer. Line the steamer with wilted banana leaves and some pandan leaves.
When fried rice is done. Put it inside the steamer.Top with the shrimps. Arrange it until the top of rice is well-covered. Put the rest of the marinade. Steam for 10 minutes.