Good for 4-8 servings
- 4 pcs chicken, about 1.2 kg, thigh & leg part
- 6 cups of rice wash
- 1 large red onion, halved & thickly sliced
- a chunk (15 grams) of ginger
- 2 tsps iodized coarse salt
- 1 pc chicken cube
- a teaspoon of whole peppercorns
- 2 pcs (250 grams) potatoes, large chunks
- a slice (250 grams) squash, large chunks
- 1/2 pc (400 grams) cabbage, wedges
Under running water, wash the ginger. Scrub the skin thoroughly. Leave the skin on.
In a heavy bottom casserole, place over high-fire, put the first-two ingredients. Cover. Bring to boil (remove scum before it boils). Add the onion, ginger, salt, chicken cube and peppercorns. Put back the cover. Let it boil again. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Increase heat to high again. Add the potatoes. Lid back on. Bring to boil. Then, decrease heat to low. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
Put the squash. Cover. Cook for another 12 minutes.
Turn the knob to high-heat. Arrange on top of the soup the cabbage. Put the lid back on. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes or until cabbage is half-done only. Do not overcook.
Serve with cooked rice and fish sauce, for your dip.