Friday, October 26, 2007

Max's Restaurant.... again!

"Sinigang na Hipon"


"Fried Lumpiang Ubod"


We fetched our Little One from school earlier today, we're going to SM-Southmall for his ice skating lesson and practice. My hubby asked him, "Sa'n mo gustong kumain?" (Where do you want to eat?). Our kid answered with no hesitation, "Sa Max ko gustong kumain ng lunch!!!" (I wanna eat lunch at Max!!!). After tasting the "Lechon Kawali" & "Caramel Bar" the last time we ate there, less than a week ago. It got to his lists of favorite foodies. According to Kulit, my son, Max's Restaurant is his fifth favorite eating place. The top choice are Mc Donald's & Chowking. Second, Dampa in Paranaque. Third, Le Ching Tea House in Greenhills. Fourth is Jollibee.

For a change, I ordered Fried Lumpiang Ubod instead of the fresh variety I always order. We even tried their Sinigang na Hipon. The verdict? I still prefer the Fresh Lumpiang Ubod. Personally, I don't like the Sinigang na Hipon. The shrimps were frozen not fresh. The soup was too sour for my taste. Even my kid, wasn't satisfied. I can't blamed him, he's used to the taste of fresh shrimps.

I never cook shrimps that are frozen. it's always freshly bought at the market and goes straight to the stove for cooking. If ever, I stack them in the freezer for future use. I always steam them first with small amount of salt. Drain and cool them well. Double wrap in plain paper or brown paper, then, seal with plastic. Freeze.

Lola, my mother, always say never freeze fresh shrimps, it render a soapy-taste after thawing. As tested, it's true. The secret to keep it fresh even after freezing is to steam them first and wrap them in paper. The paper absorbs the smell and moisture of the shrimps, making them stay fresh-tasting.

No comments: