My first time to join. I saw this meme from my sis-in law's blog, Clark & Butchay's Blog. Thanks. For my entry, I'd like to share this photo, my own version of "Binalot-style Binagoongan". Here is the recipe, as well...
- 2 tbsps cooking oil
- 3 big cloves of finely minced garlic
- 1 medium (35 grams) of red onion, finely minced
- 1 medium (35 grams) red plump tomato, finely minced
- a slab (250 grams) of pork belly (liempo), cut at 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 tsp cracked peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp all-in-one seasoning or 1/2 tsp iodized coarse salt
- 3 tbsps (60 grams) raw shrimp paste (bagoong alamang)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 pcs finger chilis (sili na pang-sigang)
- a heaping teaspoon of light brown sugar
- 1 pc (100 grams) eggplant, cut into four & quartered
- In a pan or wok, place over medium-high fire. Heat thoroughly but not smoking hot. Add oil and garlic. Saute until garlic is rich golden brown. Follow with onion and tomato. Cook until soft.
- Put pork, cracked peppercorns and all-in-one seasoning. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add in the bagoong. Saute until aromatic, about a minute or two.
- Pour water. Mix. Cover. Bring to boil. Then, lower fire, gently bubble away for 15 minutes. Mix. Lid back on. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Increase fire to medium, put the chilis, brown sugar and eggplant. Mix until blended. Cover. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until eggplant is done but not overcook.
- Serve with steaming rice, salted egg, slices of tomato and garlic-vinegar dip.