Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Kilayin & Tuyo Rice"

Two days ago, my hubby, a friend and I, attended the JMK (Julius Maggi Kitchen) free cooking demo class. I just would like to share two of the many recipes I've learned, in which I tweaked a little to my own taste preference.

According to JMK, "Kilayin" is Pampanga's version of "Kilawin"; the meat is marinated in vinegar and soy sauce, then, braised to its tenderness and full-flavor. As for the "Tuyo Rice", it is my opinion, that it is another way to serve the usual fried tuyo, fried rice and chopped tomatoes.

Good for 5 servings.

Ingredients:

for the "Kilayin"
  • 1/2 kilo pork shoulder (kasim), cut into thin strips
  • 1/4 kilo pork liver, cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 head garlic, finely pounded with some skin on
  • 1 pack (8 grams) all-in-one-seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil

for the "Tuyo Rice"
  • 2-1/2 tbsps & 4 tbsps cooking oil
  • 6 pcs (50 grams) salted fish (tuyo)
  • 1/2 head garlic, finely pounded
  • 2 medium (70 grams) tomatoes, diced
  • 5 packed cups cooked rice
  • 1 pack (8 grams) all-in-one-seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp iodized coarse salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground white pepper

Procedure:

In a deep heavy bottom pan or wok, put all the ingredients for "Kilayin". Mix. Cover. Stand aside.

Meanwhile, mash cooked rice until grains separate. Lightly fry the tuyo in 2-1/2 tbsps of oil. Let cool, then, shred. Removing the scales and head. The shredded tuyo will render 1/3 cup. Lastly, prepare other ingredients.

Place the pan with the marinated meat over medium-high fire. Cover. Bring to boil without stirring. Let it boil for a minute before opening the cover. Mix. Lid on back again. Decrease fire to low, simmer for 25 minutes. Remove cover. Increase fire to medium-high and let all the extra liquid evaporates. When dry, add oil. Stir-fry for a minute. Serve over "Tuyo Rice".

Meanwhile, In a wok over medium-high fire, heat moderately. Put 1/4 cup oil and garlic. Saute until garlic is light golden brown. Follow the shredded tuyo. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 10 seconds only. Put in the mashed rice, all-in-one-seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix. Cook until rice is fluffy.

Serve hot or top with "Kilayin"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmm this really makes me hungry right now.I think I'm gonna make some garlic rice and tuyo right now....*drooling*

Great site,I'll add u to my list.

Have a great weekend!

Pretty Life Online said...

hmmmm, now I am hungry! ha!ha!ha! I got message in my blog for you guys!!! I hope you can drop by.

Babette said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe for Kilayin, I might try this. Does it taste like Tapa?
Definitely Maybe!
Not Just Another Blog...