Curry powder offers a pleasant, easy way to add these vitally important substances to one's diet. If tried on every meal for just a few days, a new clarity of mind may well be noticed, subtle but undeniable. Enthusiasm returns. The handwriting clears up. Details are held in mind. The elusive word turns up easily. Balance may return. The desire to organize and clean returns.
It’s been awhile since I’ve cooked this dish. Jonathan who’s living with us for sometime now, he’s my sister-in-law’s brother, has been craving for the past few days for this. With no idea on my mind what to cook for lunch, I gave in to his request though I’m pretty sure only the two of us will eat this. Any dish with curry is not very popular in our house, specially with my Little One and my mother!!! But my effort is worth it coz according to him it’s a heavenly experience!!! Like he always say, ALELLUIA!!!…… haha!!!
Good for 6 servings.
- 2 pcs, about 800 grams, coconut (niyog), grated
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsps cooking oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 2 medium (70 g) red onion, minced
- 850 grams chicken, combination of leg quarters & wings, cut into small serving sizes
- 250 grams potato, cut into chunks
- 1 heapful tsp of curry powder
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 chicken cube
- 2 pcs finger chilis (siling haba)
- 1 pc hot chili pepper (labuyo), chopped, add more if you want your dish to be spicy.
- In a large bowl, combine first-two ingredients. Using both your hands, mix and press very well for about a minute. Extract the thick coconut milk. Set aside.
- Using a non-stick wok or traditional kawali, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic until golden brown. Put onion, cook until soft. Add the chicken. Cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the potato, curry powder, salt and pepper. Sauté for another 5 minutes or until fragrant. Pour the thick coconut milk and chicken cube. Cover. Bring to boil. Reduce fire to medium heat. Simmer for 25 minutes with occasional stirring to prevent burning. Increase fire to medium-high, put chilis. Let it cook without cover for another 3 minutes.
- Best with cold cooked rice (bahaw) and slices of pineapple fruit.