When Manila was hit by typhoon Milenyo, we had no electricity for a whole week. We practically lived on canned goods, eggs and frozen processed foods, which by the way needed to be consumed asap! – no fridge! Because of this, I was craving for veggies while my kiddo's begging me to cook fried chicken. He's begging coz his allergic to it. To compromise things, I came up with these two recipes.
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 600 grams chicken drumsticks
- ½ tbsp of rock salt
- ¾ tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsps cornstarch
- 3 tbsps flour
- A cup of cooking oil
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound lightly the garlic. Remove skin. Now, one by one, pound the garlic until finely crushed. Place the crushed garlic in a chopping board. Mince finely.
- Place in large plastic bowl the chicken drumsticks. Add salt, pepper, vinegar and garlic. Mix well using your hand. Let it stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a round bottom pan, heat cooking oil over medium fire. Heat thoroughly.Meanwhile, sprinkle the marinated chicken with cornstarch and flour. Cover the bowl with a large plastic plate. Hold it together firmly then shake it until chicken is well coated. Fry both sides until rich golden brown.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and “Garlicky Chayote”