I wanted to cook "Kalderetang Buto-buto" for dinner but unfortunately I have only chicken in my freezer. Instead, I settled for adobo. I decided to do it Binalot style, with tomatoes and salted eggs.
Good for 3 servings
- 2 pcs chicken thigh attached with backbones, 650 grams, cut into 12 small pcs
- 1/2 head garlic, pounded finely and minced
- 1 very small red onion, minced
- 1-1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 3 tbsps soy sauce
- 2-1/3 tbsps native vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tbsps cooking oil
- 2 salted duck eggs, shelled
- 3 pcs semi-ripe tomatoes, chopped
In a non-stick pan, place the first-six ingredients. Do not mix. Cover. Place over medium-high fire. Bring to boil. (At this stage, do not open the cover until it is boiling. To avoid a foul sour taste in your adobo.) Mix until well-blended. Cover again. Reduce fire to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir again. Continue cooking slowly for another 10-12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a serving bowl, mash the salted eggs. Add in the chopped tomatoes. Mix. Cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Remove the sauce. Place in a bowl. Leaving the chicken in the pan. Pour oil. Increase fire to medium. Saute for 40 seconds. Put back the sauce. Bring to boil. Keep boiling for roughly 10 seconds.
Serve with rice and bowl of chopped tomatoes and salted eggs.