- 3 tbsps cooking oil
- 50 grams ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head garlic, pounded
- 2 medium (70 grams) red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 large (150 grams) plump red tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 kilo chicken, cut up
- 3 small pcs (150 grams) taro (gabi)
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp cracked peppercorns
- 250 grams tamarind fruit (bunga ng samapalok)
- 5 cups rice wash
- 8-10 pcs string beans (sitaw), cut at 2" length
- 10 pcs small okra, remove both ends
- 1 pc (100 grams) radish, slice into 5 parts diagonally
- 3 pcs finger chilis
- 1 pc (150 grams) eggplant, slice into 10 parts diagonally
- a bunch of kangkong (leaves & tender stalks only)
In a wok or medium size kawali, place over medium-high fire. Heat thoroughly. Pour oil. Put ginger and garlic. Saute until garlic has reach dark golden brown color. Follow with onion and tomatoes. Saute until very limp. Add the chicken, taro, fish sauce and pepper. Mix. Cover. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until aromatic.
Put the tamarind fruit and rice wash. Put back the cover. Bring to boil. Then, reduce heat to medium-low, bubble away for 15 minutes.
Increase fire to medium-high, mash carefully the tamarind fruit. Add the string beans, okra and radish. Put the lid on. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the finger chilis and eggplant. Cover. Cook for another minute. Put the kangkong. Cook until done.
Serve hot and with warm cooked rice & fish sauce, for your dip.